Thursday, January 3, 2013

What's in a name?

My name is Torry.

My trail name is "Stupid".
You may ask, Why would anyone want to be called stupid?
There are many answers to that.
The first is to keep my ego in check. In all his years, my father only gave me two bits of wisdom:
#1 no man is an island. We need people in our lives.
#2 always keep your pride, but lose your ego.
The ego distracts us from what is real. It prevents us from seeing the big picture. In a time of crisis the ego says "why me?" Instead of "anything is possible!"
Another reason for my choice of trail name is the humor of it. I just think it's funny when somone says "Hey stupid!". I get a smile thinking about meeting somone new and introducing myself by saying "I'm stupid".
It's ironic too.
Although as most people do, I have moments of stupidity, I am quite clever most of the time. ( there goes that ego again)
Finally this is a social experiment.
My given name is Torrance. My friends call me Torry. Through most of my life people called me Torry. One time when I was starting a new job, I introduced myself as Torrance. In the six months I worked there I learned that Torrance is a lot more respected than Torry. People respond with more seriousness to a Torrance and they are more likely to accept his opinion. So what if I chose a less respected name? Would people automatically assume I was as stupid as my name? Would they shun me? Would they see the humor of it and shout out "Hey Stupid's here." Would my wildernesses expertise shine through to where somone would say "I don't know, we better find stupid and ask him.
Anyhow, I'm having fun just thinking about it."
As a wise man once said "Stupid is like a box of chocolates, I gotta find Bubba!" Or something like that.
Until next time
Stupid

No comments:

Post a Comment