Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Stupid bit of prose by Torry Newark


The road is calling me.

Every step I take is a drumbeat of the revelry that lures me to the horizon. To the unknown, the unseen, the world beyond my vision. Around the bend lies mystery, adventure, tremendous obstacles to conquer.

I step through my front door for the last time. Everything I own is on my back, in my hand and in my mind. I shed the skin of this American dream, sloughing off the debt and worry of 9000 days of toil and trouble.

I am free for the first time since I entered the womb as a soul into a living being. That soul rejoices at the promise of uncertainty. For better or worse this life is finally mine. I am the navigator of destiny on a wandering course.

Let the wind howl, let the wolves howl, let my heart howl in the face of adversity. Let me embrace the fear that held me coddled in that cushioned palace. I will strangle that fear with the chains of servitude that bound me and drag it across the mountains as a trophy of my triumph.

My steps crunch gravel and splutch mud. My mind travels to the deep recesses, turning inside out like a black hole. I walk the echoing corridors of memory as my feet meet the hot asphalt, ticking the cadence of my future.

In my mind I toll the bells, a cacophony of jangling celebration. Waking the inner child, the soldier, and the sage. "Wake up you slumbering muses! Its time for innocent delight, heroic strength and quiet wisdom. Now stretch and yawn, shake off the dust and cobwebs. Our glory is at hand!

Now stand!

Now walk.

The road is calling me."

No comments:

Post a Comment